10.07.2011

& then there were two.


a few weeks went by of facebook messages, and I could tell that D got a little nervous when we talked. I didn't think much about it because I had no idea he was interested at the time. Why would he be? He was perfect. He was the first person that I had ever seen or been attracted to that was actually "MY" type. Tall, olive complexion, and completely southern. Not only does his outer appearance suit my attractions, he is without a doubt the most humble, simple, down to earth man that I know (aside from my father).

Ok. Back to my story :) I'm getting too far ahead of myself.

  Soon enough our conversations came easily for us, and I would discuss my day with him (because HE ASKED ABOUT IT - can you believe it? A man genuinely interested in my day! Miracles, people, miracles.) I would ask about his in return because I was equally as interested in what he had to say.
 On this particular day I asked,
"How are you"
to which he replied: "Well, i'd be better if I hadn't buried my phone today."
 This was the first time in forever that I had laughed at my computer screen. He had no phone because it fell out of the tractor while he was planting. Hilarious! The conversation continued, and somehow I brought up wanting to see "The Lion King 3D", and he suggested that we go. I should have known then that he was my soulmate.... I agreed, and we planned for the following Monday.

 Sunday night I stressed over outfits and I finally came up with one. I had on new American Eagle jeans, a white undershirt, and a coral-ish cardigan with cowboy boots. I wore my hair halfway up, and I walked into the school nervous. I had talked to him before I got to school, and he said he wasn't feeling good, and when I pulled in Hollie and Bonner were in the parking lot. They both said that he looked like he felt awful, but he was inside waiting to see me, so we all walked in.
 When I came through the door he was slouched down in a chair with his head in his hands, and when he looked at me, although we didn't know each other too well, I could tell he was sick. My feelings hurt for him because I knew he wanted to go on our date too. My feelings also hurt because I had wasted a perfectly good outfit just to go to class and Chemistry lab. How selfish of me.
  I can also admit to feeling like "Maybe this is his way of getting out of our date. Maybe he decided that something was wrong with me." That was such a fleeing thought, though, because even though I didn't know much about him, I knew he had more class than that, but my mind had me trained to believe that all guys run away - even if the situation is perfect.
  After persuading him that we could wait and go on our date Friday, we headed off to class, and for some reason it was harder to leave his side, but afterwards we spend a solid hour talking in my car after we went to the store to find him some medicine.

  Friday night approached quickly for me, and I all of a sudden realized that I didn't have a thing to wear. I believe I had somewhere between 3-6 meltdowns in two hours. This resulted in taking a long bath to procrastinate, my mom making a FLYING trip to Columbus to find a cute outfit, Mimi coming to console me back to sanity, outfit suggestions from my Daddy, and ultimately (right before I walk downstairs to D & my daddy) calling my brother in my room for a "Pep talk" and the A-OK on my outfit.
  We left soon after he shook my Daddy's hand and hugged my Mamma, and we went to Tuscaloosa. Our conversation was great all the way there, and there were no dreaded awkward silences. We fit. Nothing about the quietness made me feel like something was missing. I knew that we were enjoying each other's company. I wasn't worried about where anyone else in the world was, and neither was he. We ate at Outback Steakhouse, and we winded up leaving a little too early, so we got through eating a little early, which meant that we would have to wait almost an hour to see The Lion King, and I told him we didn't have to do that!
  So, while we were eating,
D says, "I've gotta ask you something later"
"Okay? Why don't you ask me now?", I ask over the LOUD restaurant noises.
"Umm... it's just not the right time."

So we leave there and make our way back to the theatre, and as we are sitting in the parking lot, he looks over and smiles and says, "So.. about that question that I have..."

And we all know what my answer was.

It began. In a movie theatre parking lot. After a dinner of crawfish pasta and a water with lemon. He asked to be a part of my life in a more serious way. He asked me to be his girlfriend, and while I had only known him a short time, I answered with a hasty "yes" and never looked back.

10.7.12

Life hasn't been the same since that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment