1.29.2013

DIY "Love" Banner!


I am a huge Pinterest fan, and I have to say that it has interfered with my personal creativity because I no longer have to come up with things on my own. I can just browse Pinterest for an idea, and within seconds I have found something I love! 

With that being said, I have been seeing some super cute banners that people string across their mantle, chalkboard, mirror, door, etc. and I thought it would be fun to recreate my own!

Here's some things you will need: 
(plus tape and some thread - not pictured)


1. Glitter Tulip Paint
2. White Tulip Paint
3. Hemp String
4. Burlap (this just so happen to be on a roll!)
5. Pink Construction Paper
6. Snissers :)




1. CUT OUT a heart to use as your pattern, and then proceed to cut out four more. (I only made four, but once I got it on the string & looked at it for awhile, I added another. Plus, when decorating, I've found it's always to use odd numbers!)


2. CUT OUT four (guesstimated) 2 inch strips of paper, and fold them in half. After that, cut an angle at the bottom. You could do any shape you like, but I liked the way this looked! 


3. PLACE your string across the area where you plan to hang it. Cut it, and lay flat. Once you've done that, arrange your hearts and paper the way you want them to be. I taped my hearts in place temporarily. 

4. FOLD your pink paper over the Hemp string and tape the insides to each other. 

5. THREAD your burlap hearts near the bow in the middle, and tie them to the string. They will move around when you are transferring it, but you can adjust them easily.


5. PAINT your construction paper with whatever word you like! I think it would be cute to do "XOXO" too, but if you have a bigger place you'd like to put the banner, you could even do something as large as "HAPPY VALENTINES"!

6. PAINT any sort of detailing onto the burlap hearts. I chose to do a few lines of the glitter on each of the hearts, or you can leave them plain. Either will look great!


I hung mine on my mirror over my desk. 
(this was before I decided to add another heart!)


You can barely see it in this photo (thanks to the iPhone camera), but I love how festive it is for Valentines Day! 

I mentioned in last year's post on Valentine's Day that I wasn't a big fan of the "holiday", but apparently I have caved. Plus, let's admit that it's fun to celebrate it when you're in love :)

I will leave you with my most recent chalkboard design, also inspired by Pinterest:  



"Love is a many splendored thing." 

I like it, but after reading about its origin I think I may change it before Valentines Day. 

Also, when did arrows come back in style? I dig!

If you tweet or instagram, tag me in your post of where you made your own banner, and share this post with your friends!

(jp_thatsMe)


Love!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love it! :) It is going on my must make list ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kalyn! Send me a pic of yours if you get around to making one :)

      Delete