1.28.2013

Makeup Monday: Chapstick

This is the first of my weekly series "Makeup Monday", and I am so thrilled about it! I am a lover of makeup & beauty items, and I can't wait to share with you and hopefully learn from you as we'll! My favorite part about makeup blogs is knowing what someone else really thinks about a product and not having to only rely on what a commercial advertised. I have a few weeks worth of posts to write, but if you have any suggestions on something you would like to hear about, feel free to let me know!

Let's get started!

Maybe I am the only one with the problem of not being able to move past chapstick in a store, but it is almost a problem for me! (Considering every checkout from here to Egypt has chapstick AT THE CHECKOUT!) So, I have experimented with my fair share of chapstick. As a matter of fact, here is a quick view of the chapstick I have hoarded collected up now: 

I made the flower on the front with some fabric and burlap from Hobby Lobby, 
and some old buttons from my MeMaw's jewelry box.

Crazy, huh? Sadly, this doesn't even include what I stash in my purse, car, pockets, backpack, and sunglasses case. Just kidding about the last one, but whatever. 

So, I kind of feel like a self proclaimed "Chapstick Connoisseur", if you will, and I am going to let you in on some of my favorites and my not so favorites!

Let's get the bad out of the way, shall we? 

Softlips:
$2-5.oo


Yep. I said it. I HATE Softlips. Not because of their packaging, either. I happen to love the sleek, slim design, but I hate the product. For me it seems to moisturize for a short time, and it leaves my lips dry and gritty, almost like the product crusted over my lips (uh, yuck!)  

EOS Lemondrop: 
around $6.oo

(This is the yellow ball pictured in my first photo) 

Okay. I adore EOS. They are one of my favorite brands. They got it right when it comes to chapstick, but with Lemondrop I have to make an exception. 
Ya'll, this stuff is gross. It's the same formula, texture, and make of all the rest, but the smell (even if you halfway like lemons) is ridiculous. It almost smells "skunky" to me. 
Who wants skunk lips?


Blistex Five Star Lip Protector:   
$2.00



This product is not one that I have actually tried, but yet again it has a smell that I can't tolerate. It also creates a chalky white film on your lips if you apply too much. What if my lips are extra chapped? I am going to add an extra coat of chapstick. I don't need any help in the "make my lips look worse" department. If I am using a "Five Star Lip Protector", I want them to look a LITTLE better. 
I guess the chalky film "protects" the lips. 
Ew. 

..........................
Now, onto my favorites! 
.........................


As mentioned, the EOS! (Just do me, and yourself, a favor and don't buy the yellow one.)
My favorites are Honeysuckle Honeydew and Summer Fruit. 
These cost around $6.00, but they last for-ev-er.  

Nivea Lip Butter:
$3.99



Ok. If your lips are even thinking about getting chapped, RUN to your nearest drug store and grab a tin of this stuff. Seriously. You can thank me later! 
I found this while watching some makeup Guru's on YouTube, and I walked away from the Nivea aisle with two of these and never looked back. 
I have Vanilla & Macadamia Kiss and Rasberry Rose, and even though I prefer V&MK, I like the Rasberry too. (Disclaimer: it kind of leaves the same residue as the Blistex I mentioned, but I overlook it because I love these so much.) They are creamy, go on smoothly, and they last forever! Even after sipping through a straw, the product hardly transfers. 
I can't say enough about these!

Burt's Bee's Tinted Lip Balm:
$7.oo


These are perfect for those days where you aren't wearing enough makeup to justify a lipstick or a gloss, but you want your lips to be moisturized and tinted. 
I use these each morning before I leave for class. They have made it into my everyday makeup routine, and they have definitely earned their place! 

I love the shades: Tiger Lily, Hibiscus, and Red Dahlia

They moisturize and give a great tint! I recommend anything Burt's Bee's, but that's a whole 'nother post. :) 


Blistex Silk & Shine:
$3.oo


funny that I love AND loathe a Blistex product? Nah, I'm just super picky about most some things.

If you have bad memories of Hawaiian Punch for some reason, don't try this! It smells exactly like it. It's a clear, thin, glossy consistancy, and it goes on (and wears) nicely. 
I wore this throughout my high school career. It is a holy-grail chapstick. 

If you're ever in need of a chapstick, but you're not sure which to pick and you want something on the lower end of the money scale, choose this. You will not be disappointed! 
David also loves this one, so it's "male approved!"

BabyLips: 
$2.97


I loveeee these, and I've only tried one (Rasberry). It's perfect to throw in your beach bag or just to keep handy in your purse. The scents remind me of summer, and isn't the packaging just the cutest thing ever?! I don't know how moisturizing I (personally) would say these were, but they definitely add color and shine to your lips, and they don't dry them out either. I think I just contradicted myself. Whatever. I like them. 

-------------------------------------------
Thanks for chatting with me today! Let me know what your favorite chapsticks are, and link this so your friends can tell me too! :)

p.s.
[I am an english minor with no idea whether or not the word "chapstick" is hyphenated, one word, or two words. You've been warned.]

p.p.s.

I have a great DIY remedy for a lip scrub. Try this and then apply one of your favorite chapsticks! 

1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoon Honey 
1 teaspoon (guesstimated) Vaseline 

Mix these three together and rub on your lips (just like a lip balm), then gently continue to rub over your lips until you feel like the dead skin has been removed. Wipe the remaining scrub off with a warm rag, and viola! Baby lips!


1 comment:

  1. Why haven't we found each other before? I just think you're precious.

    I love EOS too! And I agree-all chapsticks are not created equal!

    Loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete