2.25.2013

Makeup Monday: Face Wash and Sulfates/Parabens


Hi, hi, howdy!

So glad you stopped by for today's Makeup Monday!

I realize that I haven't even discussed actual MAKEUP yet, but trust me friends - the day will come!

Today, however, I want to share with you my favorite face washes! 


1. Olay Foaming Wash - Sensitive ($5.oo)
2. Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Camomile - Deep Cleansing Cream ($8.oo)
3. St. Ives - Apricot Scrub ($4.oo)


1. 
This is what I use for my everyday makeup remover. I love the way that it lathers {which is also a sign of SLS, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, or just sulfates in general, but we will get to that!}, I love that it doesn't have a very thick smell because I don't like that on my face at night. It just smells soapy and clean, so I'm okay with that! I also love that it comes with a pump. Usually I'm not a huge fan of pumps because sometimes you wind up wasting a product, but this pumps the perfect amount. It removes most, if not all, of my makeup {including mascara}, and it doesn't irritate the eye area. 
Now, I am aware that I should use makeup wipes for my eye area, but I will say that is a beauty rule that I would probably "preach but not practice". Usually by the end of the day, I am just ready to shower and go to bed, so making my nightly face wash routine complicated just simply isn't an option. 

2. 
During the time(s) that I am dealing with a break-out, I usually go to this cleanser.  While it is a tad expensive, it lasts forever! It is a necessity for combination skin during break-out time. It has Soap Bark in it, and it gives your face a cooling sensation as you rinse it off. It is 100% natural, like all Burt's Bees products, so no worrying about parabens or sulfates! This product, even without containing those things, also lathers quite well. I was surprised by that! Another reason to love this product. It smells fresh, clean, and it doesn't leave behind any sort of residue. I will say that it kind of burns the eye area, so be careful when using it. Again, all of you with the remover wipes - zip it! :)

3.
This product isn't quite a face wash, but it is an excellent exfoliator! I discovered this a few years ago, and I haven't even tried another. I like an abrasive exfoliator, and this one is spot on! It doesn't cause your skin any harm, but you definitely want to be gentle when using it on your face. I have read in several places about being rough with your exfoliator and how it can cause irritation to the veins on your face. This is a product that I would NOT recommend getting around the eye area because the skin around your eyes is extremely sensitive, and there is no need to tug on them with a harsh exfoliator. It is oil, paraben, and sulfate free and 100% natural. The best part about it?I It's CHEAP, and you can get it at dollar general, Walmart, or anywhere that sells washes, really! 

Now, onto:

 sulfates...
and parabens....

BUT FIRST! 
Disclaimer: 

I am no dermatologist.
 I have just spent some time glancing over these two ingredients that are present in most beauty product today, and while I am not completely organic when it comes to my makeup and beauty products - I always try to be aware of the ingredients and brands that provide products without these ingredients. 
Now, most people aren't that concerned with it or already have their routines for everyday - and that's FINE. If it works for you, go for it! BUT.. I have suffered with more frequent break outs in my twenties, and since switching a few of my products I have been able to keep them under control (for the most part). 

Breakouts are not only related to the products you use, but also by the food and drinks that you consume. Dark drinks, salts, grease, and dark foods (chocolate, unfortunately) can be a significant cause for breakouts. 

To know if the product that your using has those things, simply look for them in the ingredients. Sulfates will be followed by one or two words in front of them (and I don't know all of the differences), and parabens will be attached as a "suffix", so they will have a prefix in front of them (also not educated on all of the differences.)


Alright, where was I? 


Sulfates: 

Specifically what I mentioned earlier SLS: 

It is derived from coconut, but it can cause irritation to skin. It helps foam and lather, and it is also seen as a cleansing agent.

Parabens:

Used as a preservative to make shelf life longer, and to prevent the product going bad. 
They're actually very cheap for companies to use, and are said to cause cancer (not sure how true that is), due to the fact that our skin absorbs a lot of what goes on it. 

Here are some links I used to research those things if you're interested: 


If you'd like to know about some of my favorite organic makeup products, let me know in the comments! Also feel free to let me know about your favorite face washes (organic or not!)

Until then, Happy Makeup Monday!

Previous Makeup Monday Posts:





3 comments: