8.19.2013

Ode to Summer...

As summer draws to a close, I was compelled to just write up a post about it. The ending of things (years, seasons, days, sometimes even moments) makes me so nostalgic that I sometimes can't get over it. I find that writing these memories down helps me feel like they will never slip away, so that is what I shall do. 


Even though I was still in school when Matt got TK, I considered him to be the start of my summer. Every day TK would "come over" and spend the day with us while Matt was at work. Since Mom & Dad work from home, they were able to see about him and since Matt lives RIGHT next door, we could take him back and forth quickly. 
TK gave me something to do during the week while I was away from David and while everyone else was working. Since Photography isn't a FULL time thing for me, I spent most of my days at home, and he was usually with me. I miss him so much now, but I know we will make up for lost time when he gets home from "school".


I have written and deleted a post so many times about this very day that this photo was taken. David and I traveled with Mom and Mimi to the beach, and David drove us there. As we drove, David received a call about a job offer. He had recently spoken with a friend of mine about taking a job and he had committed to it, but once this call came up - he had to take it. Many benefits came along with accepting the job, and I couldn't have been happier for him. I am so proud of the decisions David has made thus far. He is such a smart man, and I am confident that the job he works now will benefit him in the long run. It's also nice that he's working 5 days a week, allowing us a full weekend together! 


And then there's the beach. What a magical place, huh? It's so refreshing to just get away from the normal routine of things and vacation. I'm thankful that David fits so well with my family, and we always have a great time when we are all together. David has been on the family vacation for the last two years, and it was definitely a highlight of summer.


Not only were we able to spend time with my family while we were there, we also met with some friends and spent time with them, too. We went on a date that consisted of a wonderful meal, a ferris wheel ride, and shopping all the souvenir stores. It's so much fun that we both grew up going to the same beach as kids, and now we share some of the same memories there together.
David makes living life in general fun for me, though. We don't have to just be at the beach. 


Later in the month, Matt and David were able to meet Willie and Korie Robertson, and truthfully I think that made watching them on TV this past wednesday THAT much better for both of them. I tagged along, and I was able to hear their testimonies, and what a blessing it was! It is encouraging to hear from a family whose fame isn't based on something negative, but rather how they have built themselves up from the bottom and praised The Lord throughout their journey.


We celebrated the 4th with a good meal and a dirt cheap run with these brothers. Of course we all matched, and I loved that! My friend, Lauren, makes amazing tshirts, and she designed these and sold them for the forth! 
The forth of july is one of my favorite holidays. I love that it's smack dab in the middle of summer, and while it allows me to remember the fallen who have given their lives for us {and still do today}, there's also something romantic about the summer heat, fireworks, and a late night wearing red, white, and blue.


On one of the cooler days, we went down to David's stepdad's friend's house who raises blueberries. Gabrielle, David, and I loaded up on a small ATV and rode through the blueberry fields, stopped to grab a few - depsite the rain - and ended the day swimming underneath an overcast sky.


Nothing about that may seem perfect to you, but the photos from this day make me SO happy. It was just a fun, carefree, cool summer day that we made the most of. It was out of the ordinary. It took us to a place we have never been before, and if there's anything I love about this life it is doing things and going places that my eyes have never seen... even better when this man is walking hand in hand with me there.


We took TK to the barn a few times, allowed him to swim, fetch, run, and play, and afterwards we would take the long ride home to watch the sun set. Life was content with David driving and TK snoozing in the backseat after playing hard at the pond.


David and I have always gone to church in my hometown, but at the end of summer we started attending church around his house. It has been a blessing to go to church there when I am at his house for the weekend. We love the congregation, the church itself, the preacher, and the music. It's small, lowkey, and intimate. Just a good ole country church! 


Weeks ago {well, working on 2 months now}, Matt sent TK to Obedience and Water Training school. I have to be honest, I wasn't happy about it at all. I knew I wouldn't have anything to do during the day without him. He woke me up in the mornings, sat with me while I got ready, and usually spent the whole day beside me. It really just hurt me to think about him not being around, even though everyone was telling me that this would be good for him. 
All I could think about was him being alone, wondering why we weren't with him, why we had left him there with no one that he "knew". I hated thinking that he wasn't going to be loved on like we love on him at home.
The first time we went to see him, I was SO incredibly happy to see him, but I was also so, so, so sad that we had to leave him again. I spent night after night crying over this crazy little dog! He has become family to us, though, and that's how it works. I was able to see how the trainer interacted with him, and it did make me feel better. 
However, it wasn't until this last visit that we went on that I really felt like TK was "okay". He seems to LOVE the trainer, and the trainer is so, so, so good with him {obviously - he's a dog trainer!}, so I sleep much better at night knowing he's enjoying it ... and that we're one month down, two months to go!


Last weekend, David came here and when he arrived he had brought the sweetest card to me. Inside, he had written the most precious letter, too. Seeing his handwritten words that he's written straight from his heart always makes me teary eyed. I love his precious, sweet, sincere heart, and I honestly do not know what I did to deserve him. He is incredible, and almost 2 years later I find myself getting nervous at the end of the week about seeing him - butterflies fill my stomach and a twinge of excitement runs through my veins at the thought of knowing we will soon see one another. 
David grows to be more of my BEST friend by each passing day. We never run out of things to talk about, and we always find comfort in each other when there's silence. He brings smiles to my face and laughter flows from me when he's around. He has taught me so much about the way a friendship should be, how it isn't about one person trying more than another. It isn't even about both people putting in 50% of an effort - it is a daily choice to engage fully with one another and it takes two people, giving their all, to make it work, and I am so blessed to have him not only as my FRIEND and someone who teaches me such valuable lessons, but as my one true love, also. 


Spending this last weekend of summer at David's was refreshing, fun, relaxing, and sad all at once. It was the last weekend that I will go to his house until this time {well, a little before this time} next year and not be STRESSED or WORRIED about something subconsciously. I know that school is/should be my number one priority, and it is, hence why I stay concerned about it throughout the school year. Thankfully, David understands that this is part of a chapter in my life that has to end before OUR next chapter of life can begin. I'm glad that he's supportive of my desire to be in a pleasant place educationally before we move on in our relationship. Until then, we will keep doing what we have been doing, practice working on things that could improve, and love each other genuinely for who we are as individuals all while striving to fulfill our purpose in the life we are living now "apart" from each other. 


It has been a memorable summer to date. This is the second summer that I have spent with David, and I plan on the rest of my summers being spent with him as well. We have grown to know other people throughout this summer who have been wonderful friends to us, and I am excited to see where this leads in the future. We have even grown to know others apart from one another. I, with some from around here and in school, and David within his workplace. 
While I hate that summer is ending, I am thoroughly excited for Fall. I have never been one who really anticipated Summer, but I try to find something in every season that's enjoyable. What I can tell you that doesn't change is my love for the spontaneous and romantic, and I look forward to loving my best friend throughout the seasons to come, even as we say goodbye to summer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment