11.04.2013

Old Fashioned Day!


I first have to say - the Blog Challenge got posted by accident! Ha! We have decided to wait until life slows down just a little for us to start. SO sorry! 

Anyway! I have been excited about sharing this post. 

Years ago, we used to have Old Fashioned Day at church, and everyone would dress up. We would sing old classic hymns, have an old fashioned type service, have dinner on the grounds, and play old fashioned games. 

This year was no exception! 



a few men from our church sang "I Saw the Light", and Laura sang "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
They all did a great job! 
It was so much fun to watch, and everyone seemed to enjoy it - as they all clapped and sang along! 

We had a banjo player as well as our usual guitar, drum, organ, and piano players! All of the instruments together made for a joyful noise and a wonderful worship service! 

Our Interim Pastor, Bro. Bill, started the service out by reminding us that we were not making fun of "Old Days" by any means, we were simply spending the day remembering where our church came from, what it started from, and I also believe that it was a good reminder of the simplicity that life had to offer then, and how much we "require" for entertainment and worship nowadays when really it doesn't have to be complicated or flashy or stressful at all. It's as simple as long skirts and stringed instruments. 
It was a perfect reminder! 





These were a few of the decorations. The girls at church did a really great job! Thankfully, some of them are antique and "old stuff" collectors, so they just collaborated their things and added them for decor! The doors were painted by a lady from our church, and everyone seems to really like them! I think they add such a rustic, yet different aspect to the stage!


Here are David & I by an old tractor. David was really sweet about dressing up! I wanted him to wear some suspenders, but he offered to buy himself a new pair of overalls instead, and quite frankly I think he looks rather cute in them & have actually asked if he would wear them again soon! 
:) 
Everyone said I looked like a School Teacher. I personally felt like I looked like Laura Ingalls Wilder's mom. Ha! 


We had lunch in the fellowship hall after church, and after that there were games on the newly purchased land by the church. The little red building was an added bonus for the day because it looks really old fashioned to me. I love it!


You could grind corn like they did back then, 


participate in a sack race, 


try to win the pie contest,


or a good ole game of tug-of-war was an option too! 
David got first draft


Wonder why? 
Couldn't have anything to do with him being so tall, broad, and maybe handsome?
Okay .. they probably weren't concerned with handsome, but he was is!


Laura, also the beauty that sang. What a heart for The Lord she has! 
I'm so grateful to have her and her guidance throughout this life. 
She's definitely a true friend to me.


Another sweet friend of mine, Emily! 
We share a love for Labradors, and their dog is actually TK's daddy! 
:) 


& Mrs. Karen! She is one of my favorite ladies at church! 
She has a kind heart, and she is super creative {although she would never say that of herself}. 
She truly has a knack for it! 
I always love everything she does.















The above photos are just some of the other church members. I hope that we make this an annual event! Especially for the kids. I know I have the greatest memories of growing up and doing this every year. I can remember when Daddy participated in the tug-of-war, and I was always so proud of him! 

Maybe next year they will add bobbing for apples?
 I think that would be hilarious.
Here are a few of Dave & I in front of the "barn"...



I love that above one. It was genuine & unrehearsed. 

I love the below ones because they actually look old fashioned! 



I actually had all the pieces to my oufit except the skirt, so I went to Palmer Home to find one, and thankfully I scored on the first try! The skirt was $3.99, and I loved it! Even though it was REALLY hot! The shirt is one I layer in the winter. The apron is mom's from when she was younger, and the necklaces were my great grandmothers! 

I fixed my hair by leaving a few flyways out and curling them a tad, teasing the top, and placing most of it in a bun.

A man from our church was doing reenactment photos of the "American Gothic" photo
(below) 


& mom and dad hit the nail on the head!!! 



See? 
Hilarious!!! 


& here's my fam, without Matt, on Old Fashioned Day! I thought it was so much fun! 
Even being 22 years old! I'm so glad David enjoyed it, too! I can't wait to do it next year {hopefully}! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a neat idea! So cool to be reminded of times like that! Sometimes I wish I born a hundred years ago - I think that time period is just fascinating! And I am dying at that picture of your parents! That is a framer for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete