12.17.2013

weekend road trip!



This weekend was VERY anticipated. I finished up my last day of finals on Thursday (and ended the semester on a fairly good note, but that's another story!) So, on Friday David was headed this way to see me. We went out to dinner at my favorite Mexican place (and I think it may be his new favorite, too!) and we made a trip to Walmart. We actually saw a couple from church in both places who said, "Ya'll are too young to be going out to eat & going to Walmart!" Ha! 
However, after such a long week, I was ready to just chill out at home. So, we came home & watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad & called it a day! 


On Saturday,  I found David's cowboy hat & wanted to wear it ALL day! we helped mom with some things at the church before getting ready to leave for Greensboro. I've heard about Greensboro ever since David and I started dating. He spent the summers there, with his great uncle, on their dairy farm. His uncle taught him most of what he's learned about cows, tractors, farm life, and valuable lessons that every man needs to know. He was definitely someone whom I believe shaped David's childhood - he loved it, and if I had to guess, being with his aunt & uncle there is one of his fondest memories of being a child. 


We went to visit because he had called and asked us to join some of his family for supper at his son's new "project home". He bought an antebellum home in Greensboro and has collected antiques at old estate sales, auctions, and flea markets to furnish the home. He is planning to open it up as a bed and breakfast! 

Below are some photos that David's Aunt Becky took:


This was the "children's room", and on the other side of the fireplace was an old rocking horse. Beautiful! The pillows were cross-stitched Winnie the Pooh. 


A bedroom with a list of employees from the old railroad that ran through Greensboro hangs above the bed. For some reason I loved that! I love that the owner has tried to bring in elements of Greensboro into the home. It makes for a more interesting decor. 


A tricycle that sits on top of an armoire.  


Another bedroom. The owner is interested in a particular era of antiques. I believe you would call this style the "empirical" style. Not sure if that's right, but I believe it may be. It is a "fancier" era with thick dark wood and detailing. 


Here's the dining room, and as you can tell it carries the same theme. All of the wallpaper is original & the only thing that has been transformed (that I was told) was a repainting of the trim due to it having yellowed over time. 


Love the stairwell! 


David's picture he IG of me on the way over. Silly boy! :)


Here we are before we left! I love taking road trips with David. He told me on the way home, ""I'm so glad you came with me today. I love going places with you!" 

He makes my heart smile. 


2 comments:

  1. This post made me smile! So much fun and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time! It's always fun to go away for a while, but it's fun coming home, too!

      Delete