1.01.2014

Year in Review - Two Thousand Thirteen


This year has been full of so many wonderful memories - memories I never want to forget, and some I almost can't bear to think of. However, that is life. Life is full of those unexpected moments that mold memories into our thoughts forever - some good and some bad. However, I am fully confident that without my God, family, and friends, this year would have been far worse than it could have been if I didn't have them by my side. I can't thank The Lord enough for blessing me with people who love hard, give much, and care more than I could ever dream of - He knows exactly what I need, and I am confident that He has placed all of these relationships in my life for a reason, and I am also very confident that other relationships that have faded have their reasons too. It has been a desire of mine to focus on people who care for me, instead of losing sleep over those who don't, and I feel that has been somewhat conquered this year - although I feel it will always be a struggle. 

Without anymore rambling, here's a look at my 2013 in review... 


In January, David & I shared our first snow! It was beautiful, and it was the most snow I can remember seeing around here since I was little. David rode to work & they called the day off, so instead of driving home, he came here. I was so glad he did! 

Read about it here


Also in January, we said a final goodbye to David's MeMaw, who had become much like a grandmother to me. She was kind, meaningful in words she said, a wonderful cook, and she loved David and Gabrielle with all she had in here - it showed in her smile every time they were around. She loved to garden, feed her chickens, and take care of her cats & dogs. She was a wonderful lady, and she is greatly missed here. 

Read about MeMaw here


In February, Mom & Dad shared a wedding anniversary. They are my greatest influences in love, and they are even better influences in how to strive to live a Godly lifestyle. I cherish them for always being there for me, always wanting whats best for me, and especially this year - for always supporting my decisions 110%. I won't ever be able to repay them for the lessons they have taught me - even small ones, like how to treat people when doing business with them, how to correctly use a jigsaw, and that there IS a difference in plain flour and self rising - despite the fact that I think not! 

We also celebrated Valentines Day together, our second one! It is always so much fun to shower love on David because of a particular holiday, but even more so on EVERY other day! 

You can read about Valentines Day here.


In March, our property was invaded, and my Dad handled it like a pro! I actually have several blogs written out about the whole incident, but I haven't made them public yet. This particular memory has been one that still haunts me; I saw most of it happen, and I dream about it to this day. When people say "it's your worst nightmare", it TRULY is! One that I still suffer with. Thankfully, my dad was very cautious, well prepared, and he knew exactly how to guard & protect his family that night.


Spring break was later in March, and David & I took a day trip to the beach! It was SO nice! I actually think we may have to make a tradition out of that because... well, You'll just have to read what happens in December!
We spent the day walking the beach, shopping, and eating {somewhat} good food! 

You can read about it here


I also went hunting with Matt for the first time since I was probably 9 or 10. Turkey hunting, that is! And HE actually invited me! I was secretly thrilled that he trusted my maturity enough to go since he is so serious about it! He did, however, and we had a great time. I love learning from he and my Dad in the outdoors. Truly, no greater memories are made than the ones we make as a family out there.

You can read about it here


In April, I BECAME AN AUNT to the CUTEST fur baby on this side of the Mason-Dixon! 
Jake's Colonial Tom Kelly "TK" became Matt's, and our family hasn't been the same. Everyday revolved around snuggling and teaching that sweet angel all about life on Main Street. He is the kindest dog, but he doesn't like to be loved on too much. He does love to play rough, chew rawhides, and fetch a duck, though!

You can read about TK (in basically every post) but here

Other places to find TK are here



At the end of May, our family went to the beach! David was able to go too, and we made some wonderful memories there. Some friends from David's area were there also, and we all spent time together. It was so much fun! We stayed near "The Hangout" and we HUNG OUT there most nights. We even were able to go on a "date night" at the beach which is twice the fun as a date night at home. We rode the ferris wheel, ate good food at Cosmo's, shopped souvenir stores, and ended the night with yogurt. 

You can read about the beach trip here



Shortly after returning home from the beach, I received this email! After my first year at a University College, I had been added to the Dean's List! The first year of school was HARD - way more than I bargained for, but I made it. Receiving this e-mail made me feel like I could make it through another year.


David & Matt share the same June birthday, and for their birthday they received tickets to see and meet Willie & Korie Robertson! I tagged along, but I just got to see them! It was so much fun, and I am so glad that someone is representing Christ with such a positive feedback on modern TV today. 

You can read about it here 


In July, I had the opportunity to go with David's family down to one of their friend's house who is a blueberry farmer. This is not the most common type of farming in the south, but he has made a life for himself with it, and it is so neat to see! The weather wasn't ideal that day, but I think that made it most memorable for me. I loved it! The blueberries were gorgeous. His house was gorgeous. Everything was gorgeous! 

You can read about it here 


Also in July, TK went to obedience school. It was hard for me to adjust to it, but looking back it's been a wonderful decision that Matt made for him. He has learned so much, and he's come home twice since being there, and he has retained everything! He works well with all of the commands he is given. I have a hard time saying goodbye, but I know what he's doing there is paying off by making his owner proud, and that's the ultimate gift. 

You can read about it here 


In August, I turned the big 2-2! Feels weird, and now I'm sure that I'm on the downhill slope. 23 just sounds so "OLD" to me! I was young at 21, now I'm pushing it... 
Oh well, nothing else to see here! 

You can read about my birthday here


Not much happened in September, just got ready for Hollie's wedding. It actually seemed like that month flew by! We had several showers to attend, last minute fittings to do, and even some shopping was done for it. The closer it came to time for her wedding, the more "real" it began to feel! 



And on the first weekend in October, the lights were hung, the seats were lined up, the flowers were fresh, and the burlap was draped. The men in suits and the ladies in dresses, my best friend lined up to become a wife. A childhood of imagination came to life in the back yard of that barn on October 5, 2013, as Hollie said I DO to her groom. 

You can read about it here


That same weekend, David & I celebrated 2 years together as a "dating couple". If I had to sum up what I've learned into one thing over these last two years, it's that love DOES grow & get stronger as time passes on. It does mold and change you - but only for the better. It does teach you to realize the importance of people's relationship with you because you better understand real, genuine love of a BEST friend, and David has been prime at showing me that - always. 
I don't deserve him, but I sure do wanna keep him forever.

You can read about two years together here


TK came home for a visit in October - the first time he had been home since July! It was fun to have him around for a few days, and it was even more fun to see that he has remembered everything he learned from us before he left. Smart pup! 

You can read about his visit here.


Lastly, in October, I realized what a wonderful friend I had found in Kristin. I don't know when exactly we started communicating more, but she has been such a blessing to me. She has been there for me through this past year, and I have shared her happiness in starting their new family! I absolutely cannot wait for Baby Carlisle {or I should say Blakelyn} to be here! What a precious gift life is, and I can't think of two better people to be parents to a sweet little one. Matt and Kristin have fallen into David & I's laps and we have tried to embrace their friendship as much as we can. Life is busy for all of us, but making time for friends that are special is a necessity that I always want to have. 

You can read about the weekend that photo was taken here.



In November, deer season opened back up and Matt, David, and I all went hunting. It was the first time that David sat with me to see me kill a deer. I think he was impressed although he says he never doubted that I could do it! It was fun to see him react to me killing a deer, and it was even more enjoyable that we all, including Daddy, ended up in my greenfield talking over the hunt afterwards. 

You can read about that weekend here 


Another Thanksgiving happened! Funny how they come around every year, huh? It's become a tradition to take family photos on this day, and I love it! I know they are photos we will cherish forever, and I'm glad that we were all able to be together for another holiday season. 

You can read about thanksgiving here.


In December, we baked sugar cookies! Ha! We actually did a lot of baking, but this was our first time at making homemade sugar cookies, and Mom & I enjoyed it! David arrived just in time to help roll out, bake, and decorate! It was perfect. I love spending the holidays with my family, but I love that my mom gets so "into" the holidays. She loves to decorate and bake, and even this year dad and Matt seemed into it. It makes the season "more special", hah, when others enjoy it with you.

You can read about it here


David & I made a trip to Greesboro this month, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! David was excited to show me places that he visited his family at often when he was younger. I love that he wants me to know about those memories, and I love that he shares them so freely with me. Since I never got the chance to meet his Dad, it's fun to know that I am able to know some of his family - which in essence is a piece of him, too. I love that David has so many memories of his dad, since he was so young when he passed, and that has also made me feel as if I knew him too. 

You can read about our road trip here




And Finally, Christmas! 
We had a wonderful holiday season. TK came home for a week, David gave me the most beautiful sapphire ring that I never want to take off my finger, I surprised him with some Jason Aldean tickets for - you guessed it - Spring Break in March, and my family gave me too many gifts to count! We shopped, baked, ate, loved, wrapped gifts & tied bows, unwrapped gifts & untied bows, and played Dirty Bingo on Christmas Day! 
It was great fun with great family, and I can't wait to see what kind of photos I will have to share with you this time next year! I love the smallest things in life and how they turn into big things, and CS Lewis couldn't have said it better when he said, 

"There are far better things that lie ahead than we ever leave behind," 

but it sure is fun to remember everything that made this year what it was!

Happy New Year to you and yours! 
May 2014 bring all the happiness in the world!

I am off to David's now to bring in the new year there, for the third year in a row! You can read about last year here





No comments:

Post a Comment